|The dress I bought but never wore|
|The skirt I made from it|
Ages ago -- it must be at least 2.5 years ago now -- a friend of mine let me know she was planning to invite me to her wedding. She decided to have a very relaxed dress code, and I got really excited for some reason about buying a rockabilly style dress to wear. Why, I couldn't tell you, since it's never been an ambition of mine before or since. Anyway, I bought this Hell Bunny purple polka dotted dress online for something like £30. It's pseudo-50s style with a tight bodice and circle skirt. I tried it on and... mostly liked it, I think? I mean, I didn't love it, I have to admit, because I am long bodied and so the bodice always looked short and boobtacular on me, but I liked it enough to think I would wear it. I was going to buy some kind of cover up to go with it and just roll with the overt cleavage. In the end though, I turned out to have bought the dress WAY too early and by the time the actual wedding day came around months later, it really wasn't what I wanted to wear. I'd also gained just enough weight that it still fit but it was now epically boobtacular. In the end I gave it a miss and wore something more boring but also less cleavage-y.
|Polka dots and pockets|
|The skirt in Ottobre 5-2007. Also: check out those boots!|
|The circle skirt I started with.|
You can read my full pattern review here, but here are some extra details about the fabric and making it:
I started with the circle skirt, previously bodged together. Originally, I planned to use the front as the front, keeping the trim and buttons intact, and the back as the back. Revolutionary, right? Except, the trim on the front had not been applied on the grain, or even in line with the polka dot pattern. It didn't really matter on a full circle skirt, but it would matter on an A-line skirt and the way it was askew would just BUG ME as well. Plus, the more I thought about it the less I wanted the buttons-down-the-front thing on the A-line skirt.
When it came time to line the skirt I had a problem. I had one small piece of pretty purple paisley, and 1m of 110cm wide lilac lining fabric. Neither was enough on their own, so I had to combine them. It looks a little eccentric inside my skirt as a result, but I like it.
|My zipper insertion skills: not amazing.|
Cost-wise, well, I haven't done too well on this one if you think of the original purchase price of the dress. I probably would not have bought an A-line lined skirt it if had cost £30+, and I could probably have got at least half of that money back if I had sold the dress intact, but that ship had already sailed before I started this last refashion. On the other hand, I like this skirt enough that I will actually wear it, which is more than I can say of either the original dress or the circle skirt. If you set aside the original cost of the dress though, my extra costs were pretty small, about £1 overall as the lining fabrics came out of my cheap bag of remnants that I bought, plus a cheap zip. If I had been starting from having the whole dress, it wouldn't have been a good use of resources. As it is, I think I've got a pretty good outcome for an extra £1 investment. I think I'll call it a win overall.