|01-2013-433 Line drawing|
|Top: Burda Plus 01-2013-433|
You can read my pattern review over at PR or below, plus some extra bits I only put in my blog at the very end. My photos are basically terrible because I had to take them this evening and there is, of course, no natural light.
|Burda Plus 01-2013-433 -- Top|
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 44-52. I used a 44.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, remarkably similar except for a couple of minor changes detailed below.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very straightforward. Burda may sometimes be as clear as mud as far as instructions are concerned but I will say this for them: their difficulty rating is spot on. This was rated a 1.5 dot pattern and there was nothing complicated about it. There were not many construction steps and they were all described perfectly adequately.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? As I'm in search of simple tops to become TNTs, I liked the simplicity of it, which I thought was well-suited to a variety of prints. I found I disliked the neckline and the length, both of which I adjusted.
Fabric Used: Polyester georgette in an abstract print in a mix of blues, greys and purples. I have to admit I bought this before I really knew what I was buying, fabric wise, and I've kind of regretted it ever since. Overall, I prefer natural fibres, but I don't hate it. My major concern was not ending up with a spirally bit of the pattern over my bust! I bound it with the remains of a pack of navy satin bias tape and this turned out not to be my best idea as it's too stiff and heavy for the georgette. I didn't get the best finish on the binding because of this.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: It's not obvious from the sample in the magazine, but the top was originally designed as tunic length. I don't generally wear a lot of tunic-length tops, so I therefore took about 13cm (~5") off the total length. I added neck darts (belatedly, which meant unpicking the binding on the neckline, ugh) and reshaped the neckline in order to get a more flattering cut. I also added a small width adjustment across the back.
|FBA via darts into the raglan seam -- view of the inside since it's invisible on the outside!|
|Neck darts on the back neckline, also the french seams are just about visible|
Conclusion: I like this top, but I don't LOVE this top.
I used 1.5m of the georgette, which cost me £4/m including p&p, so about £6. The only other thing in this top was some purchased satin bias binding, which I had left over from a previous bag project. I have absolutely no idea how much it cost me, so I'm arbitrarily going to say £1 for the piece I had left. So, allowing for thread and other overheads, probably about £8 for this top.
- The neckline really isn't perfect and the most annoying this is that the bias binding will not lie flat. I think it's an issue of the binding being heavier than the fabric. This is the second time I've used satin bias binding on a flimsy fabric top and the second time it's gone wrong. Maybe I should stop repeating the same errors and hoping for a different outcome?
- Some of the seams are a bit puckery, especially down the long side seams. Nothing that would stop me wearing it, but annoying nevertheless. I think it's the way the georgette feeds through the machine.
+ This is by far my most successful FBA and I outright love the darts that terminate in the seam with the raglan sleeve. I feel like this is Armhole Princess Is The Best! epiphany all over again because everytime I do anything with shaping from the armhole it seems SO MUCH easier than bust darts and so much more flattering too.
+ Other than the neckline, which is legitimately terrible, the finish I got on this was great. I love French seams for the way they make the insides look so nicely finished. I mean, I had no actual choice with this top because the fabric just disintegrated as I sewed, but still.