Sunday 5 February 2017

A Gigantic Tote

I don't have a massive list of clothes I need right at the moment so I have taken to filling up my sewing time with non-garment sewing. I have a whole separate bag fabric and pattern stash that I haven't been dipping into much of late. Sewing bags is how I got started sewing but it took a definite back seat when I started sewing garments. Even so, I've been quietly building up quite a list of bag sewing ideas and now I have the chance to cross a few things off.

Jumbo Shopper with Inset Zipper, in brown faux suede and a patterned home dec fabric


At the top of my bag list was using a really nice piece of upholstery fabric that I bought at the craft fair I attended back in September. I had a few ideas, but what I really wanted was a pretty straightforward "big tote bag with a zip" sort of thing. As I only had a half metre, and a horribly crookedly cut half metre at that, I needed to make a colour block pattern. I therefore decided to make the cover pattern from this book, Sew4Home Bags and Totes, called the Jumbo Shopper With Inset Zipper.

I probably didn't really need a book because the bag is basically a series of giant rectangles and for sure I don't need hand-holding through making a squared bottom tote bag. In truth, I kind of ignored most of the instructions as a result -- especially the way they lined the bag (they used my least favourite technique -- dropping the lining in with a folded edge and stitching it into place -- and I used my actual favourite, turning through bag through the side of the lining). On the other hand, I did like and use (most of) the inset zipper instructions to good effect.

I used a pretty heavy duty metal zip for the inset zip
The other big difference between my bag and the pattern is that I used, for the first time ever, these stitched on faux leather handles. I've used pre-made handles/straps before but never the sort you stitch in place like that. On the plus side I think they look really smart. On the minus side, I didn't place them very well -- I should have moved them closer to the top -- and I also should have used a more substantial interfacing where I sewed them onto the bag. I'm a bit concerned the loose weave of the upholstery fabric may not perform well over the long-term with that stitching.

Light coloured lining inside, with a large sectioned pocket
Inside, I used a pale coloured lining and (again ignoring the instructions) put in a large pocket stitched into sections just the right size for my phone, a pen, etc.

Overall, this came out exactly as I'd hoped! It was a very simple sew, even for a bag, but I feel quite enthusiastic about making more bags this year. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment